Brett and I met at the Mariner's game on June 29th 2007 (Brett's birthday and the day before my birthday). My best friend Jenna actually approached him and his friends first and, intrigued by their accents, called me over to chat them up as well... Sparks flew immediately after meeting him, and finding out my last name was Hoover. And that our birthdays were pretty much the same day... So i invited him (and his 3 friends, Henry, Jon, and James) out with Jenna and me to Marcus' Martini after the game. i really wanted to see more of this cute and sexy Australian with that bright smile and warm eyes.


Mariner's Game; June 29, 2007

Jenna and i arrived at Marcus', along with the 3 friends, but no Brett in sight. His friends said he went to a party up on Capitol Hill, and my heart sank. SO, i did what any normal smitten girl would do: i got his number from his friends and called him up. No answer. Left a message saying i wanted to see him, and if he couldn't play tonight, he should come to my birthday party at Ozzie's the next night. The night continued, we had a couple drinks with his friends, and headed home to sleep one last night as a 25 year old.

The following day i get a friend request on Myspace (yes, this was back when Myspace was cool). You guessed it: Brett. I of course add him, and send a message telling him it was lovely to have met him, and i hope that we can hang out some time. I'm off to Michigan the following day to visit family, but perhaps when i get back. I heard nothing in response. I even remember showing my younger sister pictures of him from my aunt's computer in Michigan; "how CUTE is this guy, Becky??" Yes, he definitely had an effect on me. Yet my trip to Michigan came and went... as did July... and August... and the start of September... with no response.

At this point, i figured Brett a lost cause and continued on my way ...

BUT, on September 2nd, i receive ANOTHER Myspace friend request from him (turns out he had to cancel his account and reopen a new one due to excess "spam"). I was flattered that after almost 3 months of no contact, he remembers my name enough to find me and re-add me. So, in turn, I reply without hesitation,


"Hey, stranger! Let's paint this town red one of these days!"

And in less than a half hour i have a reply from him:


"You're an ideas woman, Mandy, and i like your style. I'll give you a shout and we'll set this town on fire!!"

Well, well! This is a MUCH more eager reaction than i received from him back in June... i like it!

We banter a bit via the magic of Myspace, and i learn that he is leaving for Australia for his sister's wedding that Friday. The only day I can play is Thursday night -- and despite his huge travels planned for the next day, he jumps at the opportunity -- no use putting off till tomorrow what you can do today! He says he still has my number (from when i called him the night of the game -- i know! he kept it all those months, as though he KNEW!) and will call me that Wednesday to confirm.

That Wednesday, i find out that it's my older sister's last night in town on Thursday. She wants to hang out. (Of course she does.) So, i break the news to Brett, and suggest that we all hang out together (i feel terrible, knowing that it may be a bit awkward, the first time hanging out, that he meet both my sisters!) but he is ALL FOR IT! Which makes my toes curl even more!

Thursday rolls around, and we find ourselves meeting at sushi on Queen Anne -- i remember walking out after dinner and seeing him walk up, more handsome than I remember. We hugged hello, and i felt it immediately: Comfort. Like an old friend. I can hardly explain it.

We all piled into my sister's car (actually my folks' car that she had brought into the city): Jenny, Jenny's boyfriend Shane, Becky, Brett and me. We head to Jabu's Pub for a pitcher. We play "I never" and learn quite a lot about each other.

Then, it's off to Karaoke at Ozzie's to cap off the night. I sing. Brett laughs. We talk and play and have the time of our lives. I'm desperate to stay out till the wee hours of the morning but, alas, it's a school night, and i am pooped. Brett offers to walk me home. I, of course, accept.

We are walking the 6 blocks home, and he starts to talk about the night, and how it was the perfect first date. I sort of shoot him a sly smile, and he comments, 'would you call this a first date?' I reply, 'of course! it was wonderful!' (Now i realize that he was asking me this to know whether or not it was okay to kiss me goodnight. You see, if it wasn't a real date, a kiss wouldn't be as appropriate as if it WAS a first date).

We get to my house and he calls himself a cab. After all, he IS traveling the 25+ hours to Australia the next morning and still has to pack! We are sitting on the ledge outside my place when, out of nowhere, he leans over and kisses me. Now, I'm not sure why, but this caught me EXTREMELY off guard. It was so perfect, but so unexpected... pleasantly, of course! the biggest grin creeps onto my face... just as the cab rolls up (i HATE Seattle cabs and their terrible timing!).

My heart racing, I walk him over to the cab and thank him for the awesome evening. He asks if he can see me again when he gets back from Australia, and i say, "HELL YES! no more of this 'two months with no contact' thing!" and we kiss again. He climbs into the cab and i wave goodbye... thinking to myself, WOW. What just happened?!

Whatever it was, it was the start of a lot of WOWs. The start of a friendship and love i cannot begin to describe.


September 13, 2007